1/26/09

Blueberries

I found a sale on Blueberries this weekend at Reams they were 50 cents a pint so I bought a whole case of them for $6! They taste so good and the kids love them.......maybe a little to much, lets just say everyones systems have been cleaned out :) I found the best recipe for Blueberry french toast, it is so good and could easily pass for a dessert.

1 loaf of french bread, 4 eggs, 1/2 c. milk, 1/4 t. baking powder, 1 t. vanilla extract, 41/2 c. fresh or partially thawed blueberries, 1/2 c. sugar, 1 T. (heaping) cornstarch, 1 t. cinnamon, 2 T. melted butter

Slice the bread diagonally into 10 - 14 (I only did 8 slices) 3/4 inch thick. Arrange in a single layer in a 9x13 dish.

Whisk the eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour gradually over the bread, turning to coat completely. Chill, covered with plastic wrap, for 8 hours or longer.

Combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well. Spread evenly in a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Place the bread wettest side down over the blueberries. Brush with the melted butter.

Bake at 450 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown garnish with confectioners' sugar.

( I got this from the "Always in Season" cookbook)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Holy cow that sounds awesome. I bought a whole bunch from Cosco the other day and froze them because they are my kids favorite too! I am gonna try that recipe too!

Katie said...

Sounds yummy! Are you still selling modbe? Didn't you say they have a big sale in Feb. usually? I need a swimsuit soooo bad!

Parry's said...

Yummy!